A low carb, high protein and gluten free twist on a delicious favorite!
This fun, grain-free bread recipe has been floating around the internet. It sounded a little..well…dull, so I decided to add grated parmesan cheese—which really perked up the taste!
I made the whole recipe (view here), first. Then after I put the first 6 spoons on the cookie sheet, I added 2 tablespoons of parmesan cheese to the remaining batter. It quickly began to deflate the mixture, so I didn’t stir it much and got the spoonfuls on the baking sheet. I taste tested both recipes, and liked each of them!
You can sprinkle herbs on the spoonful drops while on the baking sheet also.
- 3 eggs, separated, room temp
- 3 tbsp cream cheese, room temp
- 1 tsp sugar or honey (optional)
- ¼ tsp cream of tartar
- 4 Tbsp grated parmesan cheese
1) Preheat oven to 300°F. Prepare 2 cookie sheets with cooking spray.
2) In a small bowl, mix egg yolks, cream cheese and sugar until smooth.
3) In a medium bowl, beat the egg white and cream of tartar on high speed until fluffy and stiff peaks form.
4) Gently fold in egg yolk mixture until well combined.
5) Sprinkle cheese into mixture and spoon into 12 rounds on the cookie sheet(s).
6) Bake 25-30 mins until golden brown. Cool 5 mins on a wire rack.
for 1 Cloud Bread Round
Protein: 3 grams
Carbs: 1 gram
Fat: 4 grams
Next Day Breakfast Idea: High Protein Scrambled Egg Sandwich
So I decided to try a scrambled egg sandwich. The cloud bread had softened a little, so I reheated in the oven for a few minutes. Watch carefully though, they brown quickly! I didn’t know what would happen if I put these in my toaster. I then added some spinach to the scrambled eggs and had my (delicious) high protein, low-carb breakfast sandwich.
Alternately, you can eat the cloud bread on the side.